ARE ALL CROSSFIT GYMS THE SAME?
It is important for future CrossFitters to be discerning in selecting the CrossFit gym that suits them best.
All CrossFit gyms (we call it a box) are independently owned and operated, mostly by individuals and small partnerships. All CrossFit affiliated boxes require at least one coach certified in the basic principles of CrossFit, but beyond that, each CrossFit box is free to operate however it wishes. There is a lot of variety out there!
Almost all CrossFit boxes believe in the fundamental principles of the CrossFit methodology, but each CrossFit box has its own personality and spin on how to best implement the fundamentals.
We encourage all potential members to check out a few different gyms to find the one that fits them best before settling in. Here are some questions that you can ask yourself and your prospective coaches before you pick your CrossFit box:
- Does the energy and atmosphere suit you?
- Does it look like a fun place that you will look forward to coming to on a regular basis?
- Are the coaches biased toward a single facet of fitness or are they dedicated to well-rounded fitness?
- Do the coaches ask you questions about your goals and how you are feeling or do they only talk about their beliefs and preferences?
- Do the coaches start you out with learning the basics of safe movement before allowing you to perform advanced lifts such as snatches?
- Do the coaches have a history and foundation of CrossFit coaching experience, or are they relatively new to CrossFit?
- Do the coaches only have the bare minimum qualification (a Level 1 CrossFit Certification) or are they certified by a variety of organizations and various specialties of fitness?
- Do the coaches have a variety of certifications, but very few years of actual experience?
- Do the coaches continuously research, test and integrate the best aspects of various fitness and nutrition philosophies into their CrossFit programming, or do they sound like they are reading a script and using only the canned approaches of others?
- Do the coaches lead by example; i.e. do you want to look, feel and perform like your coaches? Are the coaches living evidence of their approach to health and fitness?
- Do the coaches give you the support you deserve to reach your goals, or are they just running you through the movements and counting your reps?
We want the CrossFit community to grow and we want our members to be content knowing they have chosen the CrossFit box that is the best fit for them after considering their alternatives. Most importantly, we want to ensure that each CrossFitter’s experience meets their expectations of putting them on the path for improved fitness. In your search for the right CrossFit box, come see us, try us on for size and ask us everything you need to know to make the right decision.
- We are family friendly. We do not provide child care. Children are not allowed in the workout area.
- You are not "on your own". If you want to come in and "do your own thing", we won't be the box for you.
- We are invested in your success. We program for you and push you.
- We will hold you accountable to your own goals. You are in control of your success and results.
- We will coach you. We assess what your capabilities are that you don't see yet.
- We do your programming and will hold you to your specific plan.
- We will help you develop your eating plan and start a food diary. You are responsible to hold yourself accountable.
Content of Crossfit The Athletes House 2010 through 2013